Saturday, October 17, 2009

planting

We hit out favorite Farmer's Market this morning, and the weather couldn't have been more perfect. We bought red onions and cucumbers as always. The mustard greens from last week were such a hit that I bought the last three bunches. We also branched out with radishes, parsnips, and a tatume squash. We've been planning to make some big batches of soup, so these seemed perfect. I also splurged and tried some Basilberry jam that looked like the perfect combo for the bread I've been baking.

Over the past week, as I've been plotting out time to try to sew some diapers, make the aforementioned soups, and attempt naan, it struck me. I'm a hippy. Or I am some city-dwelling version of my mother from when we were little. I'm dreaming of gardens and preserving my own food. I want to make some peace flags to hang across the front porch. I'm veering to the point of no return and I love it.

We had lunch with the husband, and his sister and mom. On the way home I had to fill some prescriptions for the wheezy baby and buy some dirt. I bought 120 pounds of dirt and I just used half of it. Since the yard is not garden-ready, I'm starting small. I have a large pot with swiss chard and butter and romaine lettuce. Another pot with banana peppers, garlic chives, and mexican oregano. Rounding it out, I got a little bitty bay tree. I'm very excited. I hope I don't kill them.

No comments: