Saturday, February 13, 2010

Garden dreaming

I've been taking pictures of banana bread and sewing projects to post on here, but they are all sitting on the camera. One of these days I'll post a bunch of photos with no actual post. "One of these days....." is the story of my life right now. I went for a walk this afternoon because the sun is shining and Baby Boy needed a change of scenery. Of course, he promptly passed out in the stroller. Short walks in my neighborhood are very grounding for me. I"m trying really hard to stay grounded and take the time to really enjoy my life. I'm finding little bits of time to work in the garden. Tomorrow, when my husband has his day off I need to get him to roll the very heavy composter over to the beds so I can cover them in nearly finished compost. After that I just need to cover them with leaves and wait!

One of my mama/neighbor friends was ordering seeds so I split shipping with her and put in an order for the spring garden. I'm so excited! And a little nervous because I've never done this before. Until recently, actually, I did not believe I have a green thumb. More than anything I'm just kind of forgetful so plants would go neglected. Since the garden is staring me in the face when I walk to my car AND we are turning it into a homeschool project, I think we might actually be able to keep up with it.

I know you want to know what I'm planning to plant. I'll spare you the fancy varieties. Jalapeno, cucumbers, watermelon, tomatoes, onions, okra, edamame and pumpkin. We'll see if all of those actually make it into the ground this spring, but that is what we are shooting for.

While everything is decomposing in the beds and I'm waiting to plant the seeds I guess I need to figure out a border. I really want to do a wine bottle border. We have bottles collecting on the side of the house and in the garage. I'm doing my part to contribute and my aunt has been saving up empty bottles to bring. If you have any wine bottles that need to be recycled, think of me!

"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life.” - Rachel Carson

No comments: