Monday, September 28, 2009

Into the garden

I picked up Food not Lawns and Farm City at the library and they accompanied me to the beach this weekend. Consider my mind completely blown. FNL is opening my eye to so many possibilities and ideas. I like that it breaks things down and causes you to take your time and plan. That is a concept I struggle with in all aspects of my life. It also makes it easier to turn it into a household project. Over lunch on Saturday I started babbling to the husband about soil Ph and microclimates and he got this funny little grin on his face. Apparently he likes it when I start to get all geeky.

Farm Ciy, on the other hand, was pure fun with some education thrown in. I won't be slaughtering my own Thanksgiving turkey anytime soon, but I love memoirs and the picture they give me into someone's life. I found myself laughing out loud more than a couple of times, which is always a good thing in a book.

In other garden news, I spent some time weeding the backyard today to help the hubby out with his deck-building project. Note to self: allergic to weeds is serious business. Wear gloves. Also, mosquitoes are not deterred by "Mosquito Sticks". I'm itchy.

No comments: