Monday, September 21, 2009

Books books books

I love books. I have been a voracious reader for as long as I remember. Reading is the reason I skipped first grade way back in the Dark Ages, I mean the 80s. I've been behind in Math ever since, but I've got reading covered.

Beyond reading words, I love books. I have to feel the paper in my hands to get a connection to what I'm reading. Maybe I'm a visual/tactile person, sounds about right. Anyway, one might call reading and the collecting of books my hobies. Or obsessions. When we moved into this house I had to merge stuff with my husband and it became clear very quickly that I might actually have too many books. A year, a baby, and a roommate later it is blatantly obvious that that is true. There needs to be a book purging around here. Unfortunately, it appears the The Kid, a later bloomer in the reading department, has grown into my hobby, obsession, whatever.

Most purging of stuff around here results in trips to Goodwill down the street, but I've never been able to donate books. I try to give them away, occasionally I take them to Half-price Books, and a couple of times I've posted them on Amazon. Really, I would like to make some money off of this obsession. The problem with Amazon is that the books sit here waiting to be bought, which doesn't always happen. The problem with Half-price Books is that they don't take all of them, and let's face it, I'm kind of lazy. I mean busy. Okay, a little lazy, too.

What I need to do, is pack them up and take them to Half-price books. Whatever doesn't sell, maybe I'll drive straight to my local library branch and donate them.

Oh goody, something else for the to-do list.

No comments: